J.S.M. LENOX CONYNGHAM
Location: Royal Irish Fusiliers Museum, Regimental Museum, Sovereign House, The Mall, Armagh, BT61 9DL
Details on cross:
On the upper shaft:
On the cross beam:
Lieut Col J.S.M. LENOX CONYNGHAM
On lower shaft in a stylised ribbon
Sept 3rd 1916.
On the Celtic circle
KILLED AT THE CAPTURE;
Text type (e.g. hand-written, GRU tags, carved): Painted script, black paint
Cross dimensions (millimetres please)
Shaft Height: 1290 mm
Cross beam width: 760 mm
Width of wood: 95 mm
Thickness or depth: 35 mm
Circle plate (if celtic type)
Outer diameter: 550 mm
Width of circle: 95 mm
Thickness: 35 mm
Mounting: Mounted on a temporary circular stand.
Evidence of use in field: Three parts of the Celtic circle have been repaired with new wood and then painted in the original style. The remaining original wood is weathered and unfinished.
Surface insertion depth (if apparent): none.
Finish: Plain wood, unfinished.
Condition: The wood is reasonably well preserved and in good condition.
Other information, notes and observations: The cross is one of a pair that were erected over the Col’s grave. One cross is kept in the Royal Irish Fusiliers Museum in Armagh, the second in Armagh Anglican Cathedral. Plaques describing the crosses as a pair are to be found with each of them, so they seem to have been separated at some point.
Survey and photographs courtesy of Scott Galloway
Date of survey – 10/8/17