Date of survey: 13/07/2016
Location: All Saints Church,
Details on Cross:
KILLED IN ACTION
CAPT. W.E. DAY. R.E
5TH JUNE 1916
Text type: Painted Text
Shaft Height: 1150mm
Beam width: 740mm
Width of wood: 113mm
Surface insertion depth: N/A
Width of Square arms: 65mm @ 45* angle
Detailing: Top of shaft and beam ends terminate in rotated square shaped ends, these are linked with “arms” that form a rotated square shape to the top of the cross. Bottom left arm is missing. All round top of cross where the detail is, both edges of the wood are beveled and these have been painted black along the edges.
Evidence of use in field: Not apparent.
Finish: Painted in a light grey, this has subsequently faded due to the passing of time. Lettering and edging of decorated elements, painted in black, again very faded.
Condition: Generally good,base of cross looks splintered, possibly result of rot?, Paint to lettering on wood shows signs of age related wear, holes too.
Church was open. There is a War Memorial to the Parishioners of Blyford on the left hand side of the entrance porch. The Cross is located wall mounted on the left hand wall of the nave, next to the pulpit.
Limited car parking on small green outside church.
Survey: Jason Kercher Photos: Jason Kercher. Memorial Photo: Andrew MacDonald
From the memorial
“To the memory of Captain Walter Evan Day, Royal Engineers, second son of Evan and Edith Day of Blyford Hall. In 1914-15 he served against the Turks on the Suez Canal and at ANZAC. At Aldershot in the following winter he trained the now 233rd Field Company and as O.C. he took it out to France at Easter 1916. He was killed in action near Armentieres on June 6th 1916, aged 31, and was buried in the Tancrez Farm soldiers’ cemetery”