Unknown British Soldier
St Matthews Church,
Details on cross:
Slanting left to right upwards Metal GRU tag,
Metal Tag on Cross member
Unknown British Soldier
There is a plaque below which has been varnished over, next to the cross on the wall is a framed picture of the words
1914-1918 This cross temporarily marked the grave of an unknown British soldier on the western from and is entrusted to your care by the Imperial War Graves Commission.
Text type (e.g. hand-written, GRU tags, carved): Also metal GRU tag with No. 3-B-13, sadly unable to locate precise cemetery.
Cross dimensions (millimetres pleas
Cross beam width:410
Width of wood:60
Thickness or depth:25
Mounting to wall: There is a hook at the top of the cross and the cross hangs fro the wall by this.
Evidence of use in field (earth marking, cracking, staining, shrinkage): Discolouration, markings, slight cracking of wood.
Surface insertion depth (into ground if apparent): 300mm
Finish: Back of cross is plain with no staining or colouring, front of cross has been stained and varnished
Condition: Cross in very good condition slight crack on right hand side near top of cross.
Notes and observations:
We thought this cross was lost but thanks to some wonderful people from the Chester Diocese, Wirral Historical Society and Autism Together, we were able to locate and visit the cross still in situ in the church, although it is now owned by Riverside Housing and leased to Autism Together (we met some of the clients and staff, there is a lovely warm secure atmosphere at the centre). To whom we owe a debt of gratitude especially Steve Davis and Steve Price. Steve Price rescued the cross from amongst the rubbish left by the church and stained it and put it back on display where he proudly protects it. It had lain there for 8 years. Near the cross on the wall is a Copper plaque listing the names of the men who served in the first world war from the Bromborough Pool of factory of Prices Candles. There are also 2 framed prints of the poems Anthem for Doomed Youth by Wilfred Owen and The Fallen by Laurence Binyon.
Steve Davis showed us round and gave us some amazing information about the church, It was built by the Prices Candle Co. in the late 1800’s, it is and attractive church with a lovely stained glass window. They also built a community hall, Hospital with accommodation next door for the matron and nurse, A village school and about 20 houses, the factory has since been demolished and new housing is being built on the site. All this pre dates the Lever Brothers development at Port Sunlight although this is the one that most people are aware of.
Outside the church Under a wooden canopy which is needing a bit of TLC is a roll of honour tablet in a glass case, to the men of Prices Candle factory and its associates, there is a small square next to those who were wounded and a small cross next to those who were fallen.
Survey courtesy of Margaret Draycott and Beverley Goodwin
Date of survey:18.10.2016