4th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders
Ross & Cromarty
Details on cross:
NOTE: The cross is constructed of a tree branch for both shaft and cross beam (recently restored in 2014). On the shaft below the cross beam there are 9 plates carrying inscriptions. The shaft and cross beam are both plain.
From the highest plate downward:-
MORT POUR LA PATRIE
LES SEAFORTH HIGHLANDERS
Badge of the Seaforths/ two sickle blades?
HONNEUR AUX HOMMES
MOBILISES DANS CE VILLAGE
BATAILLE DE CAMBRAI
Text type Raised lettering painted white
Cross dimensions (all sizes are approximate)
Shaft Height: 6000
Cross beam width: 2000
Width of wood: Round – 300 to 100
Thickness or depth:
Mounting to wall: The cross is mounted on a granite cairn
Evidence of use in field: None (restored)
Surface insertion depth (if apparent):
Finish: Unpainted, but believed to have been treated.
Condition: The cross looks good, given the recent restoration that would be expected, though it is a faithful copy of the original.
Other information, notes and observations:
The cross, which stands on a granite plinth outside the town’s railway station was originally erected in gratitude by the villagers of Fontaine Notre Dame in France in November 1917 in honour of the Seaforth Highlanders who fell at the Battle of Cambrai. The cross was brought back to Dingwall in 1924 and erected the following year.
There are three granite plaques on the cairn, listing the history of the cross, the men of the village who fell and a dedication to the battalion.
Immediately beside it is a memorial to Sgt John Meikle VC MM, a railwayman, who was killed in action on 20th July 1918.
Survey and photographs courtesy of Scott Galloway
Date of survey: 25th August 2016