13 men of the 17th London Regiment (Tower Hamlets Rifles)

St Mary and Holy Trinity Church Bow,
230 Bow Road,
London E3 3AH


Details on cross:

GRU Stamps read:


In Memory
N.C.O.s & Men
Of The 17TH London Regiment
Att’d 22nd London Regiment

474 Sergt. H.E. Robinson      2972 Cpl. G. Hamp     2949 RFN P.H. Clarke
2512 RFN W.H. Reynolds      2912 RFN A.F. Wells      3068 RFN V.Turpin
1390 RFN B. Parnes     2562 RFN A,F, Short      1650 RFN A.Reynolds
3476 RFN H.Towel       4797 RFN J. Ackland      4875 RFN R.E.Ward
[1]617 RFN A. Warmlaighton
Killed in Action

Text type (e.g. hand-written, GRU tags, carved): GRU Tags

Cross dimensions (millimetres please) Unable to measure as locked in cabinet.

Other information
Mounting to wall: Enclosed in locked glass fronted frame that is fixed to wall.
Evidence of use in field (earth marking, cracking, staining, shrinkage): Difficult to say as piece of wood nailed to the bottom obscuring evidence of use in ground.
Surface insertion depth (into ground if apparent):
Finish (varnish, paint, oiled, unfinished etc): Looked unfinished.
Condition (cracked, paint peeling, woodwork, damage etc): Overall, seemed good.

Notes and observations:
At the bottom of the box frame there is a brass plaque which reads:

“This cross originally standing over a common grave at Loos was presented by the War Graves Commission to The Old Comrades Association 17th London Regiment (Tower Hamlets Rifles) who have placed it in this church.

Lt. Colonel (R.A.B.P. Watts) D.S.O
Officer Commanding

Major A.B. Walters Chairman                          O.H. Lancaster M.A. S.C.F
Colour Sergeant W.F. Reed Hon. Secretary             47th (2nd London) Division”

The cross was originally given to a nearby church (St. Stephen’s?) which was the battalion church for the 17th London Regiment.. This was destroyed in the Second World War and the cross was moved to St Mary and Holy Trinity, Bow.

Cross on left hand side immediately as you enter the church along with two other panels (also from another church) and to the left of this alcove is the War Memorial for those parishioners from St. May and Holy Trinity that were killed in the war(s).

Photos and survey courtesy of  Andrew Holmes
Date of survey: 22nd November 2016