Captain Henry Jepson Paddison
Location: St Catherine’s Church
Postcode: EX16 8JJ
Details on cross:
Captain H.J.Paddison MC
Text Type: GRU tags
Cross shaft 930mm
Cross Beam 410mm
Mounting to wall: Screws and bracket
Detailing: None, plain sawn timber.
Evidence of use in field: None, there is no evidence of ground rot.
Surface insertion depth: N/A
Finish: Unfinished, possible staining or treatment at point of original use.
Other information, notes and observations:
The Cross is situated in the porch of the Church. The Church itself is run down.The name plaque seems to have been replaced recently. Regimental Name is older. Date of death is very faded. Looks like a standard pattern cross.
He was reburied at Artillery Wood Cemetery 1.B.16. Died 16th August 1917 at Langemarck, just beyond the Steenbeek whilst leading an attack.
He attended Blundells school in Tiverton and shot for the school. He got a scholarship to Sandhurst in 1915 and graduated 1916. He was gazetteed to the Worcesters. His MC was awarded at Fromelles in 1916 for rescuing a badly wounded solider in broad daylight and carrying him back 150 yards whilst under fire.
Survey and photos by Stephen Peart